Family Law In Manchester

Domestic Abuse, Child Arrangements and Help with Divorce and Separation

I understand how difficult it can be trying to interpret the law. I can break down your situation in plain English and tell you exactly what you need to do. I can assess whether you are eligible for legal aid and direct you to a solicitor if you qualify. 

If you're not eligible for legal aid I offer affordable and cost-effective services that will provide you with the support you need.

Whether you're trying to get contact with a child/grandchild or wish to commence divorce proceedings, I am here to help.  


Young boy on dad's shoulders outside

If you need an expert to help with you family law issues in Manchester, why not visit my free drop-in sessions every Tuesday 10am - 1pm at the Wythenshawe Forum Library, Forum Square, M22 5RX. Alternatively, you can contact me on 07398 894 822 for an initial consultation. 


Legal First Aid Services 

Children Matters

I can assist with a range of child issues including applying for contact, and referring cases to mediation. When two parents are in dispute, cases can become complicated and difficult. I will work with all parties to try and find an amicable solution that everyone will be happy with. 



I can help with:

  • Making applications under the Children Act 1989 for child arrangements orders i.e. contact for a child or grandchild, and where a child shall reside 
  • Making applications for parental responsibility
  • Cases involving social services (I can signpost you to where you will get help applying for legal aid)
  • Creating documents which may be required by the court such as statements
  • Attending court as a McKenzie friend, where I can take detailed notes, offer support and explain court procedures (see Assistance at Court)
  • Referrals to mediation
  • Referrals to contact centres


Separation and Divorce

Understanding divorce law isn't always easy. I'll advise you on the right steps, explain processes clearly and make applications to the court for you. I'll take the time to learn about your situation and make sure that you can start the next chapter in your life as soon as possible. 



I can help with:

  • Preparing divorce petitions and guiding you through the divorce process
  • Acknowledgement of service
  • Application for a decree nisi
  • Application for a decree absolute


Domestic Abuse

If you have an abusive partner, you need immediate assistance. Legal aid is more likely in these circumstances and I'll assess your eligibility at the first opportunity. If you are successful, I can put you in contact with a solicitor on a legal aid contract. 



If legal aid is unavailable to you,
I can help with: 

  • Applying for a non-molestation order
  • Applying for an occupation order


Assistance at Court/
McKenzie Friend

Should you need to attend court I can act as your McKenzie friend, providing you with support and guidance. Many people who find themselves in court for the first time experience confusion and helplessness in such a formal environment. I'll offer support and a helping hand to ensure you never feel overwhelmed. 



I can help with:

  • Preparing documents for court
  • Preparing case papers and setting out your case
  • Support and guidance
  • Taking notes
  • Keeping you focused in court
  • Explaining proceedings and important issues


  • I can also prepare statements on your behalf which may be required by the Court.


Change of Name Deeds

I can help with: 

  • Preparation of name change deeds for children and preparation of consent forms 
  • Preparation of name change deeds for adults 






If you need help with family law in Manchester, England or Wales, please contact me at Legal First Aid on 07398 894 822 or get in touch.

Legal First Aid is a support and assistance service. Legal First Aid does not provide legal advice but will point you in the right direction to a solicitor/barrister when specific advice is required.